We are hiring full-time software engineers who can work together in Tokyo.
*Because of the COVID-19 situation, we’re currently working remotely. But, to realize high productivity, we hope to work together at our office after this difficult situation at least a few days per week. So, we’re looking for engineers who already reside in Tokyo, or can move there. (Sep 17, 2020)
About English information about us, please refer to the following sections.
- Newrope is a startup focusing on the fashion industry.
- Flexible team consists of 4 engineers including 3 foreigners, a data scientist, 2 editors, 2 sales, and CEO.
- Working in Shibuya which is a source of fashion in Japan.
- Have self-developed AI systems: Can work in the frontier of technologies.
- Data-centric systems: We work for users. But also, we think gathering data for AI systems is essential. So, we need to work on invisible systems from users, and keep thinking “what is good data?”. This is challenging work.
- Work in Tokyo, communicate in English: If you like Japan but are not good at Japanese, Newrope should be an excellent company to work.
- Flexible working style: Only outcomes are required. Our corporate culture actively accepts new stuff to improve our productivity. If you join us, we’ll trust you as long as you drive our project.
5,000,000 yen – 8,000,000 yen per year
*We’ll decide it based on your career and skill level.
- Travel expenses will be paid
- Pay revision: 2 times per year
- Probation period is half of a year. But no difference in salary.
What you’ll be doing
- Responsible to develop functionalities that utilize our AI systems
- Responsible to deliver functionalities based on our business needs and performance targets
- Join our agile workflow as an in-house software engineer (not as an AI researcher nor a data scientist)
- At the beginning, start from development of one specific product, but gradually join developments of other products while learning necessary technologies
- Keep improving product quality through testing and peer code review
- Build, test, and manage interactions between multiple systems
What we need to see
- Over three years of experience as a software engineer
- Skill set required to start development on at least one product; For more details of our technologies, see below.
- Understandings of key concepts of information security and ability to build a system that can avoid security threats
- Ability to competently use modern standard architecture and guide others in doing so
- Open to cooperation with other departments
- Ability to break down a rough architecture design into a detailed one
- Open mind on feedback from users to dig real needs
- Basic skills about technologies that we use for developing most of our products: Docker, Basic operation skills on Linux, RDB/SQL, REST API
Nice to have
- Japanese language skill
- Experience in low-layer technologies that can be useful for operating our systems
- High technical skills we don’t have and can be applied to our system
Huge amounts of clothes are disposed each year. 13 million tons of clothing and textile waste in just the United States alone. This averages out to be roughly 200 T-shirts per person.
This problem pollutes the environment. Additionally, it is also a reason that brands, retailers and other fashion companies face difficulties in business.
Supply chains and trends in the industry are really complicated. On the other hand, there are various kinds of data such as sales results, items posted on SNS, user’s action histories online, coordinates and so on.
As you know, dealing with big data is AI’s strong area. That’s why we believe we are able to contribute to the industry.
By reducing dead stock and optimizing matching of end-users and items, we can enable our customers to make profit. The profit could be resources to create next brands, designs, customer experiences and culture.
What we do
Our core technology is image recognition specialized in fashion.
We provide fashion companies with two types of applications installed with the AI as SaaS.
Recommendation engines for fashion E-commerce
Our artificial intelligence recommends items like shop staff.
“Image search” supports end-users to find similar items to what they are searching, and “AI stylist” suggests styling, how to coordinate items.
Our AI has recognized fashion snapshots in SNS such as Instagram and Twitter, and collected trend data since 2017.
Our customers are able to know what is in fashion and optimize their merchandising, marketing, pricing and so on based on the actual data.
You can see an overview of our services below.
If you don’t have any status of residence, we need to apply for the “Engineer/Specialist in humanities/International services” visa.
In general, it is required to fulfill one of the following conditions:
- Graduated from university and majored in a subject relevant to the duties which you plans to undertake (e.g. computer science)
- Have at least 10 years of experience as a software engineer at work
For more details, please refer to: http://www.japanvisa.com/visas/japan-engineer-visa
Our technologies for each product
- #CBK (C2C web service): https://cubki.jp/
- Ruby on Rails
- #CBK scnnr (API server): https://scnnr.cubki.jp/en/
- Data Collecting / ETL on AWS
- AWS (S3, Glue, etc.)
- Infrastructure for microservices
Show us your code
We consider the ability to write good code an important criterion for hiring, so we usually check all candidates’ code published on GitHub.
On the other hand, in general, candidates need to spend time applying for a job before showing their actual code. This may consume their time a lot.
Also, even if you are not actively looking for a new job, it could be beneficial to connect.
We have a unique integration on GitHub, “Scout Request”. This is for saving candidates’ time by checking their public code before applying.
When you send a Scout Request to us, we don’t require you to have an intent to apply for the position. Please feel free to share your accomplishments on GitHub. We’ll check your code and send a scout email if we think you’ll match the position.
After you reply to the scout email, let’s discuss your position and other possible options.
Please click the button below and approve of reading your E-mail address on GitHub to send a Scout Request.
(This application will read only your E-mail address on GitHub to send a scout email)
Apply with Form
If you have clear intent to apply and need our reply, please use this form.